[WriteLog] Off Time Calculation in ARRL Contests Explained

To: "Writelog@Contesting. Com" <writelog@contesting.com>,"W5xd@Writelog. Com" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Off Time Calculation in ARRL Contests Explained
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:20:20 -0800
Tree, N6TR, made some comments on the CQ-Contest reflector regarding off
time calculations in ARRL contests. It appears Writelog doesn't conform to
the way logs are checked. Tree wrote and administers the log checking
software, so whether we like it or not, he is the high priest on this and we
must conform.

Wayne, please look into this and redo the off time calculations.

Tree's post, in answer to K6LL's post regarding 2004 CW SS results, follows:

K6LL writes:

> TIME ON CALCULATION
> 2100-0849 = 710
> 1313-1605 = 173
> 1635-0154 = 559
> ------
> On time = 1443 minutes (max of 1440).

> I always figured op time = (time off) minus (time on).
>
> It should be op time = (time off) minus (time on) plus 1 minute?
>
> I've been figuring it wrong for 45 years? Oh, well, at least I've
> been consistent!

And the beauty of the new process is that it is indeed consistent for
all of the players.

If you have QSOs that occur at 0000 and 0001 in your log, have you been
on the air one minute of two?

If you make a QSO at 0000 and again at 0030, how much off time did you
take?

The other principle at work here was explained in my previous posting about
the issue - which is that a "calendar" minute is either off or on - not
both.

Therefore, in the 0000 and 0030 example, you only have 29 minutes of off
time (0001 through 0029 inclusive).

Again, the nice thing here is that all of the logs are scored using the
same methodology. If you don't want a QSO or two removed at the end, just
take care to make sure 30 "calendar" minutes tick off between QSOs.

73 Tree N6TR