[WriteLog] Strange and frustrating WinXP LPT CW saga

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Strange and frustrating WinXP LPT CW saga
From: Dave N6NZ <n6nz@n6nz.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:37:15 -0700
The old logging computer has gotten too crotchety to be trusted... so I am
building up a spiffy new shack computer.

I have hit a roadblock on LPT CW keying.

The system is a Shuttle with Intel mobo/chipset.
OS is XP Home sp1.
Writelog is 10.52f
Userport 1.0

1. Installed Writelog on a fresh install of WinXP, got it talking to radio.
2. Ran Userport, got Writelog to send CW via LPT1.  Using old reliable
cable from years past.
3. Tried to set up audio recording... no go... remembered that I had not
installed the motherboard resources drivers to enable the on-board audio,
so went back and did that.
4. Audio recording now working FB.
5. CW now fails -- and Writelog only reports finding LPT2.  System has only
LPT1. LPT1 and LPT3 greyed out in Writelog.

I have made sure that Userport opens entire 0-3ff range.
I have tried writelog.ini line:
     lpt2=378
in an attempt to trick writelog into getting to lpt1.
I have renamed fport16.exe.

The motherboard resource drivers seem to have added some extra intelligence
to the LPT drivers over and above the stock XP lpt drivers that somehow
broke how things get reported to writelog.  Now, I admit that things should
have been installed in the opposite order.  Oh well.  I did even go back
and uninstall and re-install Writelog, but there was no change -- although
I did not delete the writelog.ini before the reinstall, so perhaps there
was some state left laying around that should have been deleted.

What next?

73, Dave N6NZ