[WriteLog] Great Circle /Beam Heading Problem Solved

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Great Circle /Beam Heading Problem Solved
From: Larry L Lindblom <llindblom@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:14:35 -0500
For the past 5 weeks I've struggle with getting the beam heading to
display correctly.  Just over a month ago all of a sudden G3 was at 8
degrees and only 40 miles away from my QTH.  Other headings and distances
were equally strange.  Oddity was that when I used pack spots the azimuth
values were correct (G3 44 degrees, etc)

I immediately check my location in Great Circle setup and it was OK.
Next, I dug through the archives of the WriteLog reflector and found
W5XDs Oct 26, 2002 post about running comreg.exe and also using REGEDIT
to delete the key named GreatCircle in the registry from My
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\W5XD\WriteLog.  However neither of
those solved the problem and G3 along with the rest of the world was an
hour or less drive from my home.

Then today for no particular reason I looked at the layout values under
Great Circle setup.  They were all set at zero.  How they all got set to
that value is a mystery.  But giving them positive numeric values from
6-1 suddenly made G3 a much long trip and at the correct heading, ditto
for everything else I tried. I know from the on screen text that positive
values display the information and negative values turn the display of
those items off.  I guess now I've learned that a zero value displays the
information but it is inaccurate information.

Anyway the problem is resolved and maybe this will help someone else if
they suddenly find the rest of the world is 100 or less mile from their
driveway;-)

73 W0ETC, Larry