Re: [WriteLog] WL S&P plus Run modes?

To: <k8ei@arrl.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL S&P plus Run modes?
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 06:25:18 -0000
Loyd

That's three keys.  I want to do all of that using just the enter key.
While running I already can, by setting "Enter sends exchange/QRZ"  What we
want is to be able to do the same thing when S&P.
This functionality is available in other loggers and WL is behind the game
in this area.  That is a great pity for what is otherwise a very fine
program.

Many folks may not use the "Enter sends exchange/qrz" setting in WL and so
may be wondering what all this is about, so please excuse the b/w and I'll
explain:

With "Enter sends exchange/qrz" set, the keyboard enter key becomes multi
functional dependent upon cursor position.  Viz....

With the cursor in the call field but the call field empty, hitting the
enter key would send your short version CQ (usually your call.)

With the cursor in the call field and the call field not empty, then
pressing enter will send your exchange.

With the cusor in the exchange field, pressing enter will send the qso
terminator.

An example exchange would be as follows:

I hit enter and WL sends "P3F"

I am called by W5XD whose call I enter into the call field

I hit enter for the second time and WL sends "W5XD 5NN 001"

W5XD responds with "5NN 002"

I press enter for the third time and WL sends "TU" confirming satisfactory
completion of the QSO and the QSO would be logged.

If I am then called by K6VVA I enter the call and the next time I press
enter, WL will send "K6VVA 5NN 002"

If on the other hand, I am not called after my QSO with Wayne, then on next
press of enter, WL will send "P3F" to solicit further calls.

This functionality is great and reduces operator overhead when running rate
and at the same time mult hunting in an SO2R environment.

At the moment this functionality doesn't extend to S&P operation which is a
great pity.  The issue is that with S&P you want to send different messages
based upon cursor position.

What is required is that WL detects a switch to S&P by virtue of a change in
frequency greater than X Hz.  This would cause an alternative set of buffers
to be addressed from the logs fields, hence enabling messages appropriate to
S&P to be sent using the cursor addressed enter key.

You might think....hey what's the big deal, looking around for which key to
press gives me something to do when things are slow.  OK and if that's how
you feel, this functionality wouldn't deny you that.

BUT think of a scenario in which you are running 200 an hour on one radio
and S&P for mults on the second.  Trust me, you'll have no spare time in
this scenario.  Minimum keys and minimum keystrokes are required for maximum
efficiency.  Just now, WL is very weak in this area creating unecessary
headaches when using SO2R.

I'm not sure there's a lot more I can add in my attempt to persuade Wayne to
include this functionality in his very fine product.  Hopefully he will get
around to it soon.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F