[WriteLog] Unique Rig Control Question

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Unique Rig Control Question
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:04:26 -0700
On Saturday while Videotaping the NCCC SO2R Clinic v1.0 at N6RO's during
the IARU Contest, one of the members asked me about the possibilities of
having WL do some additional "rig control" functions.

I am not a WL guru, and not a computer techie at the hardware level, so
will pose the question here...since it might be of value to others.  Any
solution that would not require additional WL programming would be
expedient resolution :-)

On the long drive back Saturday Night, one idea came to mind as a possible
solution that would not require more WL programing.  That would be to have
a 2nd, standalone computer with rig-specific control software (for various
functions), and use a separate bank of X-Keys programmed to accomplish
mult-keystroke tasks with one push of the button...mounted above the WL
specific tasks X-Keys Sticks going to the WL computer.

The big question is:  Using some kind of "Y" adaptor (for a serial cable),
can 2 computers (1 with WL, 1 with TXRX Control Software) "co-habitate" on
the same serial port line feeding into a TXRX at the same time?  If so,
*BINGO*.  If not, any workable solutions would be appreciated & I'll
forward them on.

Tnx much & 73...

Rick, K6VVA