[WriteLog] Network Instability--some data

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Network Instability--some data
From: "rsmorris" <rsmorris@nelsoncable.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:32:09 -0500
Greetings Wayne and the group.

I just went through an incident with my setup described in an
earlier post. The network was completely setup about 23:30
before the contest. I did go back and load V10.47E.
These are WIN98_SE machines, could not get the XP machine
to talk to the 6 other machines, so didnt worry about it..
If your interested, keep reading.....

I operated mostly S/P until 08:00 and went to bed. Was only
oping on 40 and 160. Up and again in a S/P mode on 10 and then
15M. Then went to 20M.

By the way all computers had the bandmaps up.
Hit a few S/P spots in the band map by double clicking on them,
A few were busted calls so I selected them, right click and removed
them. Few minutes later I noticed they were back!
Hmmm, went to the "Link to" computer and the data graph on the
11 mb D-Link wireless card was up. The graph has a bars @ 100,
200. 300 to 500. The data was running at 400 or so on the scale!!
Normally it looks short grass with some weeds.
Grabed the camera, but naturally the battery was dead... Darn it
There were no messages in the WL Network status window of
anything going on. Setup/Link to the Network showed I still was connected
to the other 5 machines.

Think it was Hal that suggested getting some kind of IP monitoring
 software from Sysinternals. I did and installed it
on the "Link to" machine and captured 3 different files. one was 5mb,
one was 7mb and a whopper 19MB file.
I tell you one thing, data sure flys on a network, all of this was collected
over a period of 12 MINUTES. I have the files saved if anyone has the
desire to go through them.
Then I started shutting down the machines one by one. Looking at
the D-Link monitor on each machine, just maybe 50+ on the scale, but
steady and looked like grass. Shut down packet on the Link to machine.
No change. Shut one band down, Still a flood (400) on the DL
monitor. Shut second band down, still flood. Shut the rest of them down
and the grass returned to the Link To machine. ) It is still up, I never
shut it down.

I have the files if it would help someone???

Think I will go S/P some more..
Take care
73/Bob
W4MYA