Re: [WriteLog] [microHAM] WL and winkey

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] [microHAM] WL and winkey
From: "Jozef Urban, OM7ZZ" <om7zz@stonline.sk>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:23:15 +0100
Wayne,

> 1. The "solution" promoted by the Winkey support would make it impossible
> for WL to do auto-CQ, dueling CQ's etc because WL can't tell when the
> transmission ends without polling the Winkey device. And I would only be
> able to provide such crippled support if I were willing to write special
> code to support a crippled device--and I am not willing to spend my time
> writing such code.

Each programmer can use own approach, our intention was only to point out
that the polling is redundant and waste of resorces.
When you send message to WinKey, keyer responds at the beginning and at the
end with status. During playback sends ASCII characters out as CW signal
goes out of the keyer. Also if user touch the paddle keyer sends a status.

> 2. I am not interested in using 3rd party DLL's to support writing a COM
> port. WL already has enough complicated logic dealing with COM ports--it
> is already to the point where I would guess 30% of hams can't successfully
> configure WL to run on their machine when it, in fact, is capable of
> running, but the instructions are too complicated, the setup is too
> complicated, there are too many special devices that want their own setup
> to be set up a certain way, etc. etc. etc. I am not willing to go any
> further down that road without cleaning it up.

Of course, you not need to use K1EL's dll. Dll there is only for help for
programers which want have a quick code out without extensive debuging and
testing.

> Also note (if you are considering buying this) that the Winkey guys have
> recently released new firmware for their USB router to deal with some
> problems with doing rig control through their hardware. (This is after
> having sent around some emails to users about how WL is broken and needs
> to be fixed....). If you want to use their USB router and do rig control
> and CW through it with WriteLog, then you'll definitely need to get that
> firmware.

Our latest firmware 2.5 we're designed especially for WriteLog users and
because radio timeout for transceiver datas in WL is very tight and final
result is "no RIG" message. New firmware advances radio data in every case
and in reality transfer radio responses to the virtual COM port faster than
standard USB to serial adapters.

Real problem is not if WinKey is polled or not, but too tight data timeout
for radio responses and WinKey speed/buffer handling. Especially when radio
and/or WinKey is connected via USB to serial adapters.

If you have interest we are always ready to help you in debuging, loan
interface or anything else regarding to this problems as well as change code
to be "compatible" with WL as we have made many times before. I think most
important should be to offer users reliable station setup where logger -
interface to radio plays major role.

73 Jozef OM7ZZ
microHAM