[WriteLog] LPT problem - resolution

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] LPT problem - resolution
From: "Alan Maenchen" <ad6e@inreach.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:48:19 -0800
Thanks to many folks who offered advice .. most of it excellent.

Amazingly, the problem has healed itself.

I had another problem that I didn't detail earlier because I thought it was
unrelated. The new Icom ProIII wasn't talking via the serial port. It turned
out the problem was a faulty serial cable to the homebrew TTL converter.
Once fixed, not only did the ProIII talk nicely but LPT1 returned. I have no
idea how/why that would make any difference. I still have LPT2 "available"
despite no hardware for it. Perhaps that's because I'm using a USB
connection to the printer so something magical is happening in that driver.
I can ignore that.

BTW, I've had userport installed for a long time so that wasn't the issue.

Since I'm using W2k, I can't set LPT port address in the ini file as some
suggested. That's only for W98 and ME buffs.

Anyway, for illogical reasons, I'm QRV again. Hope it lasts!
Tks again to all for the advice.

73, Al  AD6E