[WriteLog] RTTY Highlighting after DE

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RTTY Highlighting after DE
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:35:25 -0000
I would like for there to be an option to disable
highlighting callsigns after DE.

In the NAQP RTTY this past weekend, DE highlighting was more
a detriment than a benefit. Here were the problems I
noticed:

1. Highlighting after DE is not reliable. Sometimes the
string just does not highlight. When this happens, even a
database callsign will not highlight. Example: DE
FDR8EK7WM6CVDF.  If DE highlighting fails, even the valid
database callsign K7WM will not highlight.

2. Using the same example, if DE highlighting does work, the
entire string will be highlighted, and K7WM will still be
obscured. This happens frequently in a pileup, where the
first person to respond sends DE, and then the pileup
creates a jumbled string.

3. DE frequently highlights false callsigns. I have learned
to distrust any callsign following DE, and to look instead
at the second time the callsign is sent. Example DE K7WO
K7WM.  Both will be highlighted, K7WO simply
because it follows DE, even though the callsign has been
copied incorrectly. K7WM highlights because it is in the
database. K7WM is the one that I will select.

4. If a callsign does not highlight, because it is not in
the database, and if DE highlighting has been disabled, it
is still printed on the screen, staring you right in the
face, and you can click on it. Very little value is added by
highlighting it after DE.

5. Writelog's implementation of callsign highlighting using
the database is extremely effective, far superior to the
N1MM logger. It provides the Writelog user with an almost
unfair advantage in any RTTY contest. Degrading this superb
database highlighting with simple-minded highlighting after
DE, especially given its unreliability, is a hindrance.

I ask only that DE highlighting be an option in the program,
so it can be disabled by some, and used by others if they
like the feature. Thanks for listening.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.