Re: [WriteLog] Wave files

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Wave files
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:09:08 -0900
Burt,

I don't understand why you record the audio files on one computer and then
transfer them to another machine.  You don't mention what program you are
using to create the audio files.  I usually just use the Windows Sound
Recorder - not fancy, but it works.  On your WL machine try opening one of
the stereo files in the Windows Sound Recorder.  On my WinME machine it's at
Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder.
After opening an audio file in the Sound Recorder, click on File/Properties.
At the bottom of the box is an area called Format Conversion.  Select
Playback formats and Convert Now...  A window called Sound Selection will
open.  Here you can change the Format of the file to and the Attributes.  I
use PCM 22,050 Hz, 8Bit, Mono  22 KB/s for SSB.  Once saved, check the file
attributes and make sure it is now mono.  Try it in WL.  If all is ok,
convert each of you audio files in turn from stereo to mono the same way.

Also, see Scott's excellent WL web pages at www.k9jy.com.  Click on
Universal Setup/Tools/Wave File Compression for a much better description.

Gary AL9A