[WriteLog] WriteLog - Icom-751a - Problem Islolated!

To: k5dj@writelog.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog - Icom-751a - Problem Islolated!
From: "JerryBliss - k6iii" <k6iii@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:22:42 GMT
OK, I think we have finally nailed down my WriteLog-Icom751a problem.
I visited with Kevin/N6RCE this evening and he had all the right tools and
knowledge at his fingertips. (What a neat shack!)

We have conclusively demonstrated that Writelog does NOT completely handle the
Set Frequency command sequence for the IC-751. Specifically, when I enter a
Frequency change in WL, it sends several commands in sequence, starting with
the SPLIT MODE command '0F' and then followed with the SET FREQUENCY command
'05'. The SPLIT MODE is documented as NOT Supported on the IC-751. WL is
expecting a reply from the rig (which of course doesn't happen) and when no
reply is received, then WL apparently aborts the command sequence and DOES NOT
send the SET FREQUENCY COMMAND. We have captured this sequence of events, below.

The first 12 lines show the Rig responding to Read Freq commands '03'.
See the last 12 lines (after the CAT settings comment) - the '0F' command does
not receive a reply from the Rig (its not supposed to) and there is no
following '05' Set Freq command. The sequence apparently has aborted.

H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 03 FD   (read operating frequency)
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 03 FD   (echo)
H-RX: (1) FE FE E0 1C 03 00 00 13 10 00 FD   (operating frequency: 10130000 Hz)
H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 04 FD   (read operating mode)
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 04 FD   (echo)
H-RX: (1) FE FE E0 1C 04 03 01 FD   (operating mode: CW)
H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 03 FD   (read operating frequency)
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 03 FD   (echo)
H-RX: (1) FE FE E0 1C 03 00 00 13 10 00 FD   (operating frequency: 10130000 Hz)
H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 04 FD   (read operating mode)
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 04 FD   (echo)
H-RX: (1) FE FE E0 1C 04 03 01 FD   (operating mode: CW)

CAT settings: 1200 bps 8N2 , address: 1c
Log enabled
H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD   (echo)
(0) oldest tx query discarded
H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD   (echo)
(0) oldest tx query discarded
H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD   (echo)
(0) oldest tx query discarded
H-TX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD
H-RX: (1) FE FE 1C E0 0F 00 FD   (echo)
(0) oldest tx query discarded

2006-04-04 20:48:48 :  Log saved

So we have concluded that WL does not correctly handle the Set Freq command. It
should not be sending a Split Mode command and it should not abort.

We have previously demonstrated that the IC-751a will respond to Set Frequency
commands using DF4OR CI-V Test software (and other logging s/w). DF4or has a
very good write up on the CI-V interface protocols and command structure at web
http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/civtoc.html

I think its time for WriteLog to investigate and resolve this issue.

Jerry/k6iii
San Jose, CA