Re: [WriteLog] Starting Over

To: Writelog user group <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Starting Over
From: Ed <k4sb@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:06:43 +0000
ROOFUS wrote:
> The short story is that I have had a computer crash and can't seem to get WL
> working the way it did so I want to delete it, reinstall and start from
> scratch. I "UNINSTALLED" it via windows and did a reinstall and still had
> problems so did another remove.  After this remove I checked and the WL
> folder was still in the "PROGRAMS" file and the WLKEY.ini file, should I just
> delete these and try again?  I was using VS 10.55D, can I just reinstall this
> version?  I'm getting contest DT's and need help.
> Thanks,
> Dennis KI8U

Well, the short version of this is that WL is not at fault here.
It's the "uninstaller" and Windows itself.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why an installer can not
be written which will keep track of ALL modifications made when any
new program is installed. It then becomes a simple matter to merely
'read" from the list, and delete those files.

As Dennis noted, program files and directories still remain on the
computer. Also, about 200 WL regristry entries are also left, and
they must be removed. It's a long task using REGEDIT, and in XP,
Windows will not allow some few to be deleted.

Also, regarding the ongoing discussion about "networking", it should
be perfectly obvious that if WL works perfectly for some, and other
"tear their hair out", that a configuration problem exists, and
excepting just ordinary mistakes, the difficulty is NOT with WL, but
a combination of Windows, other software, and whatever on a
particulat computer.

As for the ".ini" files, most are pretty simple entries. Instead of
bitching about it, why not take one entry and post a complete
discussion of what it does. Shouldn't take long to finish.

And please, before you post a message about your ports being 5 and
6, read the archives. It's been covered too much. With the wealth of
knowledge of most members of this reflector, please do not let us
get dragged down and blame WL for everything.

Let's help each other!

73
Ed