[WriteLog] "Broken" INI issues

To: "WRITELOG REFLECTOR" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] "Broken" INI issues
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:29:42 -0500
I think we are making progress.  I particularly appreciated Dean Wood's posting
that verifies that I've not been on dope regarding the "Save configuration"
issues.  It's busted and needs fixing.

What has become apparent is the need for cleaning up the software.  Use of the
INI file for any manual intervention reminds me of Win 3.11.  There is
absolutely positively no way anybody should ever have to touch the INI file for
any reason--EVER!  Like it or not, we are stuck with XP in its various flavors.
 In XP you are well advised to stay far away from any INI file.  Win98SE is
gone forever folks--gone the way of 95 and 3.11.  Either start conforming to
the MS way of doing things or give up trying.

With the luxury of time, and high speed internet connectivity, a person can
more experienced users.  Sitting in a corn field, without the luxury of even
dial-up, attempting to configure this software in minutes (or even hours) is
quite impossible.  I believe someone placed the best notion on the web when he
stated that the INI file should be set up correctly each time a new version
comes out.  New features need to be incorporated into the INI and provided to
all users with each and every upgrade.  The author should have control of what
is contained therein.  And the user should interact with it in ways that the
author controls--through screens presenting property check boxes and the like.

Some have complained that my comments are oriented towards a "wish-list" of
things that would be nice.  No, it is to the point where it is broken.  The
current way of doing things went out with WIN95 folks--98SE was made to work
with the INI patches, and using XP the procedure is now caput.

I got a posting from an industrial engineer that states they can no longer use
TCP/IP for any of their industrial controls.  Windows interrupts activities
that are time critical and can no longer be used for any reason--period.  I
suspect WL is subject to the same issues.  Others have echoes this theme.  It
needs to be investigated and dealt with.

Summer is the time to re-think and coordinate strategy that involves the
software.  I'm hopeful that Wayne will find the time and the energy to fix this
ever growing list of WL gotchas.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com