[WriteLog] Networking Ops per Help

To: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>,"WRITELOG REFLECTOR" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Networking Ops per Help
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 22:02:52 -0500
Bob, W4MYA called me tonight to discuss some of my angst with WL's network ops.
 Here is what I believe the "gotcha" that buggered up our weekend...

Under the help file topic "Network Operations" we found the following
instructions:

Step 2: share and copy a common WL file
All stations participating in the network must be logging the same contest and
the same exchange format. An easy way to ensure this is for at least one
workstation to place a WL file in a directory shared on the network.

Our log was located in the "Shared Documents" folder on the "MAIN" computer
running XP.  Apparently, this is not the way Bob set up his network, and I
would like clarification from those more knowledgable than me.  Wayne, I'd love
to have you weigh in on this too.

By having a common log file, the log is actually spooling stuff through the
network.  Bob set his up to save locally, and Links each PC to the network.
Then at a common computer which he also calls "MAIN", he selects "Accept
Network Connection" from the file menu.  With each PC selected to operate the
same contest, then any PC going up and down simply does the handshaking
routine, and each PC relinks the log.

The way we did it, each log is actually located on the "MAIN" computer on the
network.  The relinking seemed to work most of the time, but we have hundreds
of duplicate records in our main log--all marked dupes--all scored
correctly--but duplicates in every respect none-the-less.  Some computers with
Qs in the buffer would go down, and these would be lost forever.  Pity actually.

So what is the correct procedure?  To link-or-not-to-link, that is the question.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com