[WriteLog] Norton Errors

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Norton Errors
From: Ed <k4sb@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 19:37:27 +0000
K6KR replied privately with a very important question and I hope he
does not mind if I quote him here.

"Could it be because the Windows registry refers to modules that have
been removed and the registry is not cleaned up?"

Well, I can personally tell you that Norton will leave well over
500 entries in the registry using either XP uninstall, or in my case
also, System Mechanic 6.

A large problem I have run into is installing a later version without
cleaning out the registry, and deleting the folders which are left
over.

Using REGEDIT, I do a search for Symantec and then Norton. Believe me,
it
takes about an hour to remove them all, mostly because both Norton and
Symantec have "nested" keys, and you have to clean them all first
before
you can remove the entry REGEDIT found.

Norton had a special program called SYMNRT which you could download
and
run on NSW 2003. Did a thorough job of wiping it out.

For the life of me, I can not understand why an uninstaller could not
be included which would merely parse the install files 1 by 1, and
then
wipe them.

Sorry if a little off topic.

73