Re: [WriteLog] SO2R controller for WL?

To: "'Clive Whelan'" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>,<writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R controller for WL?
From: "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:07:36 -0400
Hi Clive,

That is sort of a loaded question as every ham has different needs for
hardware, modes and skill level. Also I would like to think a lot of people
have the know-how and would be quite happy to 'roll their own', I sure wish
I could.

For me, I hope to eventually get into the 2 radio option of contesting and
have ordered and am waiting for the new microHAM USB SO2R+ Keyer (model with
the built-in sound cards). Even though my station computer at the moment has
a serial port and parallel port, most likely in a few years my next computer
may be port poor. In short I am planning to 'Ham it up' for many years to
come and legacy type hardware in computers most likely will be long gone
before I give up on radio. If I decide on going with a notebook type
computer, then the two built-in sound cards of the mk SO2R+ will give me two
built-in very low noise USB sound cards, an added bonus for my station. I
did look into the Ezmaster, but it clearly did not fit my station's need and
the DXD was never considered as I wanted a USB device. Homebrew is out of
the question for me as the local hospital does not have a burn unit.

Next for me, is flexibility. The mk SO2R+ will allow for me to configure for
the radios I have now and for sure will support my dream rigs if I decide to
go that way someday. Also, I can call my buddy across town for a casual CW
rag chew using any mK products without having the need to turn on a
computer. Last if I don't need SO2R, just configure WriteLog for the contest
and use rig A in this test, rig B in the next test, without the need to swap
any cables. If you wish, there is a manual and list of features available on
the www.microham-usa.com website to read about for all the neat-o features
that sold me on it.

At this time I own a microHAM Keyer that I use exclusively for CW and most
of my RTTY activities along with WriteLog of course. Never once has the mK
let me down, it has been not only as stable as a rock, but built like one
too. The other microHAM products I have are a pair of micro Band Decoders
which mH Keyers have direct interface capabilities with. Like the
knowledgeable gang on this reflector, there are a fine bunch of gents on the
microHAM reflector willing to help those that may have an interfacing
challenge.

Again, I have to say everyone has their own idea of a station set-up using
hardware, mode and skill. But for me I like to do all my configuration with
a keyboard these days and not burn my fingers on a solder iron, so the mK2R+
it is.

Hope to catch you and everyone this weekend in the Makrothen contest, I need
those points.

GL 73 Eric - VE3GSI.