Re: [WriteLog] WL Bandmap Enhancement(s)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL Bandmap Enhancement(s)
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:18:28 -0700
NCCC Webmaster, Ed, W0YK / P49X, wrote:

> So, I think this is good feedback to software authors, but it is an unneeded,
> in fact,
> detrimental, feature for NCCC's SS quest.

I understand your point, but respectfullly disagree for several reasons.

1. For those of us with poor terrain & propagation to W1 (and VO/VY), if a "VT"
shows up next to a K1 call in the SS bandmap, and depending upon the time of
day, I just may want to drop everything if he's fresh meat and try to score the
Mult ASAP (even at the risk of losing a couple of Q's).  I can always go back
to CQing, but at this part of the Sunspot Cycle and with my crappy QTH and
hills that directon, I see the potentials of this differently vs. a station
like yours high on a ridge with a clear shot :-)

2. In case I didn't explain in detail, by showing MULT ID
(State/Provicence/Country), I mean for ONLY Mults which have NOT been
worked...in CAPS...maybe in Fluorescent Orange!  Maybe an additiona config
option for any new UN-worked MULT that a message shows up directly under the
call entry fields as an "ALERT!!!"  IMHO, eliminating having to move your eyes
all around a screen is of paramount importance.

3. Providing the capability to turn on/off MULT ID's next to ONLY UN-worked
mults via a Menu option (or preferably Hot-Key combination), at least gives the
individual op (even in SS) the ability to use strategies that may not be
necessary for big guns, etc. ... based upon what the MULT is ... visually ...
right next to the callsign in one place.  Those who don't want this feature can
simply turn if off.

Dave, K6LL, wrote:

> While we are on the subject of Bandmap enhancements, I would
> like the option of eliminating unworkable stations (dupes)
> from the bandmap.
<snip>.
> I know that we currently have the option to make dupes the
> same color as the background, but the invisible dupes still
> take up space, and the bandmap gets really goofy-looking in
> just a short time.

A great idea, Dave!

73...

RIck, K6VVA