[WriteLog] Laptop Soundboards - Another Solution

To: "WriteLog List" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Laptop Soundboards - Another Solution
From: "Richard Thorne" <rmthorne@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:06:50 -0500
I've been in the market for a new laptop for my station.  I ended up
buying a Dell 9400.  It has a 17" screen, supports a second monitor and
all of the required connections, power cord, extra monitor DB15
connection and 4 usb ports are all on the back.  I wanted all the extra
cables to exit the back of the laptop to keep cabling neat.

I purchased the laptop knowing that the built in soundcard did not fully
support Writelog, ie it will not pass mic audio to the speaker output.
But I thought I had this resolved since I had tested the SoundBlaster
pcmcia card in my other Dell laptop.  Well I get the new one home and
attempt to insert the pcmcia card, surprisingly it doesn't fit.  Come to
find out I purchased a laptop with an express card slot, bummer.

So off to the electronics store I go.  I ended up purchasing a USB
SoundBlaster exernal board.  Installation was smooth and I was glad to
find out that it supports Writelog.  It only scores a 6B via soundboard
check, but it still supports Writelog.  I'll do some more testing and it
will get a full work out this weekend during CQWW.  One nice unplanned
feature is that the soundcard (which is in a nice small case)  can be
set on top of the rig, I can plug my Heil headset into the phone plug of
my Mark V and the mic to the soundboard without extensions.

Rich - N5ZC