Re: [WriteLog] Using writelog with Dell Laptop

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Using writelog with Dell Laptop
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 22:16:29 -0000
From: "Joe Wilkowski" <k8fc@k8fc.com>
To: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>;
<writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:15 PM

> Be careful, many Dell laptops have a monaural mic input
> and are NOT stereo. In addition, the Heil headset
> microphone plug is MONAURAL unless it has been modified by
> someone.  I cannot understand why a microphone (two
> conductor) would have a stereo plug in the first place.
> Your mileage may vary, but unless the particular laptop in
> question has a stereo mic input the Heil mic plug should
> be compatible.
> /jhw

Sound card microphone inputs require a stereo plug, even
though computer microphones are all mono. Mic audio goes on
the tip, shield goes on the shell. The ring is used to
provide DC power to electret mikes, which includes virtually
all mikes designed for computer use. When you use a regular
Heil dynamic element, there should be no connection to the
ring. If you stick a mono plug into a sound card mic input,
strange things happen. Sometimes the DC gets superimposed
onto the audio, which screws up the audio. Sometimes the DC
gets grounded to the shell, which should be ok in a
well-designed sound card, but should be avoided. Some sound
cards have an extra preamp that can be switched in for
low-output mics like the Heil. Some sound cards are ok for
Heil without the preamp, and some cards don't have the
preamp and the Heil can't drive them hard enough.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ