Re: [WriteLog] BUG in WL Keyboard Shortcuts for SSB

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] BUG in WL Keyboard Shortcuts for SSB
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:59:19 -0800

Jamie, NS3T, wrote:

> Rick
> - have you tried bringing up the keyboard shortcuts box and thenhit "Set to
> Default?"  That re-sets everything.Recently, the ESC key wouldn't work to stop
> a CW/SSB message. A look at the shortcuts showed it didn't exist, so a re-set
> did the job!73 Jamie NS3T

Yes, the Set To Default restores all 20 CW messages, but re-opening an SSB WL
file still leaves the problem of only 10 SSB messages and the need to manually
re-assign each time.

This also does not solve the problem of needing ALL 20 CW messages and ALL 20
SSB messages for Mixed Mode contests ;-(

A fellow NCCCer suggested assigning ALT + F02...F12 for "Shifted SSB" messages,
but this creates significant additional problems, especially for those of us
using external Macros. We need both "Shifted" CW and "Shifted" SSB messages TO
WORK WITH THE #&^! "Shift" + F02...F12 keys.  The CW/RTTY/SSB Message setup
dialog box in WL specifically shows "Shifted keys" (CW) and "Shifted SSB".
Having to reprogram banks of external Macro Keys or even TSR Macros back and
forth between CW and SSB contests is PURE I-N-S-A-N-I-T-Y, and contrary to the
purposes of Software functionality.

As more ops QSY to external Ergonomic keyboards or mini-keyboards, some of
these do NOT have numeric pads, and on some notebook computers, some of the
ancilary keys will NOT allow for keyboard shortcut assignments.  "Been there,
done that"...a NON-Solution.

BTW, you can not save SSB contest settings with 20 SSB message assignments,
and later open a CW file and expect to see 20 CW assignments (or vice-versa).
The Save Configuration thing does NOT apply to the keyboard shortcuts...at
least not in v10.61E, because I tried it.

THEE SOLUTION is simple:  Fix the problem *within* WriteLog so that "Shift +
F02...F11" keys and "Shift + F02PH...F11PH" keys function properly for 20 full
CW messages and 20 full SSB messages to work.  On the fly voice recording can
be changed out to ALT + F02...F11 or something else, because external Macros
are not affected.

I already have over  $800 (USD) invested into what will be the Mother of All
Contesting keyboards with SIXTY X-KEYS Macros to help overcome some
deficiencies in WL, but unless this #&^!  CW and SSB message NON-CONTINUITY
matter is fixed, it's all down the toilet ;-(

ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  I am NOT a Happy (WL) Camper at
the moment.

73...

Rick, K6VVA