Re: [WriteLog] A wish for the future....

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] A wish for the future....
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:32:24 -0800
Hans, K0HB, wrote:

> Could we get WriteLog to do some "acceptability" test on inputs to all the
> entry fields.  (For example, in SS accept only valid values A, B, M, Q, S, U
> in
> the precedence.)

BRILLIANT IDEA, Hans.   These are EXACTLY the types of "Efficiency"
enhancements that turn me on.  A simple config dialog (sort of like the
CW/RTTY/SSB Messages setup) would enable users to designate ONLY the allowable
entries....if you wanted to take the same approach for some other contests).
Once again, as an "option" if desired so the status quo won't come unglued.

> And in fixed-length fields, move to the next field without <spacebar>.  (For
> example, Precedence is always a single letter, and check is always a two-digit
> number.  Make WriteLog smart enough to move to the next element.)

YES (once again, as a config "option" if desired)!  Part of my deCouervane's
Tendonitis was the result of constant pounding on the spacebar with my right
thumb to move between fields.  Last weekend was more unwanted practice in
wearing out my left thumb tendon ;-(

One of those most irritating things in SS last weekend was always having to
"double-space" to move from the PREC field to the CK field (in order to
hop-back-over the callsign).  Wasted time.  Wasted energy.  Wasted wear and
tear on a thumb tendon.

Ever had to ask for a repeat of CK or SEC 'cuz you couldn't type and
space-space-spacebar fast enough to complete the entry when working a "Fast
Talker"???

Using SHIFT + TAB to back up to the next field(s) has always been a
pain-in-the-butt, especially since I have large hands and fingers.  That's why
assigning this function to ONE push button X-KEY that says "Field Back" has
saved time and frustration.

My ultimate wish for the future is the day when we can have surgically embedded
interface chips that will enable us to "think" info into the field's (like
Clint Eastwood did in the movie FireFox (or was it FoxFire?).

Tnx for the efficiency suggestions, OM.

73...

Rick, K6VVA