Re: [WriteLog] SO2R CW Keying

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R CW Keying
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:32:45 -0800
Hi, Jim. Writelog supports a single keying line out of the computer - your
choice of serial, parallel or ASCII. It sends on the selected port
regardless of which rig is active. It outputs a signal on the parallel port
designating which rig is supposed to transmit. External switching is
responsible for using that signal to direct the keying to the appropriate
rig. Most SO2R switching boxes include this switching. This is what I do
with my Top Ten Devices DX Doubler and I think the others do the same.

73,

/Rick N6XI

On 11/28/06, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> Hi Crew,
>
> I've been using WriteLog for three years now, and have always used
> serial port keying. No problems. Now, I'm working on getting SO2R
> going for the first time, and would like to do it without adding
> external boxes. That is, just WriteLog and two serial port hookups
> that do both control and keying. I tried this a few weeks ago, using
> two serial ports, with a separate connection to each radio. I could
> key either radio, but not both. And, of course, maybe it was cockpit
> error. I didn't have time to pursue it then, but I would like to now.
>
> I'm working from an IBM laptop that has one "real" serial port, and
> an additional serial port from a Quatech PCMCIA adapter, and that
> port works fine for both control and sending CW. That laptop also has
> a parallel port available, but I would rather stick to serial if I
> can. Is there a way to do this?
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

"In days of old, when ops were bold, and sidebands not invented,
The word would pass, by pounding brass, and all were well contented."