[WriteLog] Question to reflector

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Question to reflector
From: "Dick-w0raa" <w0raa@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:19:12 -0700
I am running Wl ver. 10.54C.  It works great.  One problem, if it really is a
problem, is the location of my WriteLog.ini file.  I know it's supposed to be
in the C:\Windows folder.  But, even though I run Windows XP Home SP2 on a
Gateway Desktop, I don't have a C:\Windows folder.  I do have a C:\WINNT
folder.  I have a WriteLog.ini file in the C:\WINNT folder.  But any changes I
make to that ini file have no effect on WriteLog itself.

I have found that the WriteLog.ini file that is being altered if I make a
change with WlIniEdit.exe is what is in the Registry.  The ini file in the
C:\WINNT folder is not changed at all.

Now, my question: Why is my WriteLog.ini file in the Registry and not in the
C:\WINNT folder where it should reside?  I have even renamed the WriteLog.ini
file in the WINNT folder to something else, and WriteLog still comes up and it
does not create a new ini file in the WINNT folder.

Need I be concerned or just live with things as they are since the programs
works well.  It was flawless in the RTTY RU Contest this past weekend.  I have
dropped an e-mail to Keith Kregli about this but have not received any response
from him.  Keith says, in the WlIniEdit_Read Me.txt file, in the last
paragraph:

"The secret Registry stuff.  If you run the regedit program (if you don't
already know what it is, I don't recommend experimenting with it), you will
find an entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\kregli\WlIniEdit.  It has all of
the ini file Sections and Items that were in your WriteLog.ini file, or that I
could glean from the WriteLog Help File as I was writing the program.  I added
a function that could be helpful.  It is available on the "System" menu and is
called "Recreate File from Registry".  It creates a new WriteLog.ini file from
what has been stored in the registry.  You should probably never use it unless
you get into serious trouble.  If you choose to delete WlIniEdit from your
system you can delete everything in kregli and below from the registry."

I assume the "Recreate File from Registry" that he mentions, may put the
correct WriteLog.ini file in the WINNT folder.  I cannot find any such file to
accomplish that.  And if I did, I'm not sure exactly what it would do.  Does
anybody know?  I just may leave things as they are, but it would be nice to
hear from Keith Kregli regarding this.  All the entries in the WriteLog.ini
file in the Registry are correct (Code Speeds, AutoSaveCount, Recent File List,
etc., etc).  None of the correct info in the Writelog.ini file in the WINNT
folder is even close to what's in the Registry.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

73,

Dick
W0RAA