Re: [RTTY] [WriteLog] Unclaimed QSOs were deleted from Cabrillo file

To: "'Jerry Flanders'" <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [WriteLog] Unclaimed QSOs were deleted from Cabrillo file
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:13:51 -0800
I don't consider this a WriteLog problem.  In fact, I think this WriteLog
feature is useful.

While it is true that the Cabrillo format does not allow you to mark QSO
entries as "not-for-credit", it probably doesn't matter.  I don't know of
any log checking process that somehow penalizes logs with blank entries.
Penalties only occur if there is an entry in the call sign field but the
exchange is busted, or blank, or the QSO is not in the other station's log.
If there is any possibility that an incomplete QSO entry in your log is
related to a QSO entry that is, or might be, in another station's log, I
feel the sportsmanlike thing to do is leave your incomplete entry in your
Cabrillo log.  This guards against the other station getting a NIL penalty
due to your logging error.  If you are sure that the QSO is not in another
log (including you having busted the call sign in your log), then it is OK
to mark it "Unclaimed" in WriteLog so that it does not appear in your
submitted Cabrillo log.

73,
Ed - W0YK