Re: [WriteLog] [Dxbase] anybody using Vista yet

To: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>,"DXBase List" <dxbase@mailman.qth.net>,"Writelog List" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] [Dxbase] anybody using Vista yet
From: "Jack" <jack@dxbase.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:36:02 -0500
Bill,

We have had a couple reports from customers who have installed DXbase 2007
on Vista.  The reports say that it installs and runs fine although the
database we install does not get put in the "preferred" folder under Vista.
Doesn't seem to really matter.  However, we have been told that the DXbase
help file system will not run.  When attempting to access any help
functions, a Windows message is displayed stating that the .hlp file format
is no longer supported in Windows.... contact the software developer....
This was a known issue which Microsoft has a Knowledge Base article about.
According to the status on this, MS had planned to make available for
download to Vista customers a .dll that would allow the .hlp system to work.
MS will not allow software developers to distribute this .dll.  I cannot
find any indication that such a .dll is available from MS at this time and
don't know if they intend to follow through with delivering this.

Since we have not installed or used VISTA ourselves, we cannot and do not
make any claims that VISTA supports the running of DXbase.  What we mention
here is based on feedback from others and what we found by searching the
web.

Regards,
Jack