Re: [WriteLog] HELP - Belkin F5U103 USB to Serial Adapter

To: "'KC4HW'" <jimjohnson@alaweb.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] HELP - Belkin F5U103 USB to Serial Adapter
From: <keith@kregli.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:19:42 -0700
Jim,

It's generally best to use the serial port to generate FSK rather than the
USB adapter.  The timing issues in the USB adaptors cause some problems and,
in most cases, the drivers don't support the baud rate needed for FSK.

Several people did experiments a few years ago with the Belkin devices and
they mostly did OK at generating FSK.  I think there were some versions
(identifiable by a number inside the shell) that failed a lot.  I think it
was John WA9ALS that had the results published on his website.  I have
several of the devices and they were fine (for FSK) for 30 minutes or so,
and then they crashed the OS.  They seemed to work reliably for things like
rig control.

Keith Regli (K7KAR)
mailto:keith@kregli.com
http://www.kregli.com