[WriteLog] RFI and Keyers

To: "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RFI and Keyers
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:33:16 -0700
This is a reply that I posted to email on the NCCC list this morning.
The original post complained of buggy control between a Microham
keyer and Writelog. I don't think it's a WriteLog problem.

For a detailed discussion of the causes of this RFI, see
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 01:46:01 -0800, Michael Shapiro wrote:

>microHAM's keyer interface with WriteLog problems. Random speed
>changes (in both directions), skipping the first character sent by
>WriteLog under certain conditions, etc.

>Most probably it's a WriteLog interface to blame...

I'd put my money on pin 1 problems in the keyer. I haven't done
actual testing, but AE6RF used one at my QTH over the weekend, and
it was still here when I returned from N6IJ. After I tore down his
station to make room on my operating desk, I opened up the Microham
and studied its construction. I can't find a single connection
between a cable shield and the chasssis.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC