[WriteLog] 6 digit grid direction calculation anomaly

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] 6 digit grid direction calculation anomaly
From: Roger Rehr <w3sz@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:43:19 -0500
Hi All,

I am wondering if I am doing something wrong with WriteLog.

I am in grid FN20ag and have this entered into WriteLog, and it appears
properly in the 'mygrid' field in the entry windows.
.
If I type into the grid field grids that have the same first 5 digits
as mine, I get anomalous results for those grids due south of me
[i.e.FN20aa...FN20af].

The direction for all of these grids should be 180 [degrees], but the
direction WriteLog displays alternates between 0 and 180 degrees.  I
get:

Grid   direction
FN20aa     180
FN20ab     0
FN20ac     180
FN20ad     0
Fn20ae     180
FN20af     0

For FN20ah and above I get 0 as I should.

I also find that if I put in the call we3c and have the HamCall lookup
feature enabled, WriteLog pulls up the correct grid, FN20bj, but gives
a heading of 311 whereas if I manually enter FN20bj [or just change the
last digit of the gridsquare from j to j], I get the approximately
correct heading of 27 degrees.

Am I doing something wrong?

Could someone else confirm or deny that they get similar anomalous
results with 6 digit grid squares directly south of them in the same 4
digit square?

If you want to check on how the 6 digit grid fields are structured, see:
http://www.arrl.org/files/contests/ln9404.pdf

73,

W3SZ
Roger Rehr