[WriteLog] Audio files

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Audio files
From: "Jamie Dupree NS3T" <ns3t@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:34:38 -0500
Gary AL9A wrote:
I'm setting up WL for the NA Sprints on Sat. and have run into problem I
don't understand with my audio files.  In certain call signs a letter in the
call generates an error message that says" .wav format incompatible with
earlier files."
--
Gary, I have run into this as well.  It is usually caused by the use of
different

In Audacity, if you go to Edit | Preferences and click on the Quality tab,
it will give you options on the sample rate (e.g. 44100) and bit rate (e.g.
16 bit)
that are used when a wav file is created.

If you used the XP or Vista recorder, those could have also had different
record settings.  Maybe you added some recently and the settings weren't the
same?

To check that, open Windows Explorer and go to where you keep your
audio files.  Place the mouse cursor over different tracks and it will give
you
a box that lists the basic data.  Or you can right click and go to
properties
and find the summary data that way.

When you open a file with Audacity, it will show you in the bottom left
hand corner what the basic rate is.  I use 22050kHz and 8-bit because
it makes the files smaller (especially since I have over 17,000 of them
now.)

Whatever you use, you must use the same file types, or Writelog will
refuse to run some of them and give you an error message.

Let me know if that helps.  I also hope to be on for awhile in this
weekend's Sprint with my 100% wav file operation.

73 Jamie NS3T
http://www.radio-sport.net
Your home for ham radio contest news