[WriteLog] WL & CW Skimmer

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WL & CW Skimmer
From: "jclark@brownjanitorsupply.com" <jclark@brownjanitorsupply.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:27:52 -0500
About a week ago a question was posed about the use
of the new CW Skimmer program & WL at the same time.

I found the CW Skimmer program to be quite
interesting . So I downloaded the CW Skimmer Software
from the DX Atlas web site. I run a FT-1000mp and the
rig only uses the one CAT port. So trying to
communicate with two (2) applications through 1 comm
port just would not work.

So I downloaded a trial version of a Serial Port
Splitter which created two virtual comm ports #4 for
the 1000mp & #5 for CW Skimmer, tied them to the real
com port #2. And after un checking the auto poll
setting for the rig WL's port setup for the rig. IT
WORKS! Both applications get data from the 1000mp at
the same time.

Now for the draw back.

You can not use the band map because WL doesn't
constantly poll the rig for information. The only
time it does the polling is when WL checks for a
dupe! It does at that time assign the current freq.
to the QSO. And it does not interrupt the CW Skimmer.
But the band map is useless, however the CW Skimmer
can also be used kind of like a band map.

Now the question.

Is there a way to slow down the polling of the rig.
Perhaps with a setting in the ini.file. The problem
with leaving the polling box checked if that it is
constantly polling so it jumps all over the place in
only WL?

Thanks
John N5ER