Re: [WriteLog] Independent Speed Control for MicroHAM Paddle and WLMessa

To: "'Rick Tavan'" <rick@tavan.com>, "'WriteLog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Independent Speed Control for MicroHAM Paddle and WLMessages?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@microham-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:48:44 -0400
Rick,

What you are asking is not currently supported by most logging
software although there is nothing that would prevent software
authors from doing so (apparently one contest logger does keep
separate "program" and "paddle" speeds).

To implement separate speeds, the logging program would need
to:

  1) set the "program speed" at the start of each macro
     (WinKey "set WPM speed" command)
  2) set the "pot" (paddle) speed at the end of each macro
     by one of two methods:
        1) issue a "set WPM speed" command with WPM = 0
        2) read the speed pot value and do a "Set WPM
           speed" command with the speed pot value
  3) set the "pot" speed whenever the user interrupts a
     message with the paddles.  This may be the most difficult
     due to latency issues in the WinKey/Application interface.
     The paddle speed must be reset the same way as #2 ...

There are other issues ... like handling of <<< and >>>
within "composite" macros (F2 followed by F3), etc. and
trying to maintain two speeds raises the risk of unexpected
speed changes.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV