[WriteLog] FT-857D CAT interface freq display bad with USB/Serial adapte

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] FT-857D CAT interface freq display bad with USB/Serial adapter
From: Rich McAllister <rfm@pensfa.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:30:01 -0700
I tried having Writelog 10.67B talk to my FT-857D via the standard
CAT/Serial cable and a USB/Serial adapter (since the Windows XP laptop I
want to use has no real serial ports.)  Communication is clearly
"almost" working; I can change bands, etc. from WriteLog.  However, the
frequency/mode display is off: WriteLog displays the frequency as 100x
what it really is, and always shows LSB mode no matter what the rig does.

If I use the FT-857D, the same CAT/Serial cable, and a old Windows 95
laptop with a real serial port, everything is fine.  But I really don't
want to lug both laptops on my upcoming plane trip!

Looking at the CAT protocol, I'd expect the read-back to look like this
if WriteLog is somehow missing the first character of the rig's response
to the "Read Frequency and Mode" command.  Perhaps there is a little
delay introduced by the USB/Serial adapter?  I tried changing speeds and
numbers of stop bits, but it didn't affect it.

Looking through the WriteLog help file, I notice there's a
FTDX9000_DELAY_MSEC parameter.  Before I waste a bunch of time playing
with that, does anybody know if this also applies to the FT-857 module?
  I suspect it's a delay between sending commands, rather than a delay
before looking for responses, so it might not help anyway.

Any idea if trying a different USB/Serial adapter might help? Anybody
have a model they're using which works?

Rich, K6RFM