[WriteLog] Troubling info

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Troubling info
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:28:39 -0500
We got an interesting e-mail from RX9TX last night that listed the various
brands of contesting software and their relative use in the Russian contest.
I switched to Writelog once my computers started using Windows XP. I had
assumed that most others had done this as well. Apparently that was the case
at first, but now ...not so much.

http://rx9tx.qrz.ru/index/loggers.gif

In the Russian Contest you can see that the percentage of stations using
Writelog has steadily and consistently dropped from 2005 - 2008. Since there
were over 3000 entries, you would think that this is a pretty good sampling.
I am not familiar with a number of the pieces of contesting software but it
appears that TR and Writelog are on the decrease, while N1MM, Win-Test and
Super-Duper are all on the increase. My original favorite, CT, doesn't even
make the list anymore.

I have used CT, TR, and Writelog over the years, but I haven't paid much
attention to the other software. I does make me wonder, am I missing
something? I realize that N1MM is free (722 users) but that doesn't explain
why 338 folks paid for WinTest and only 191 paid for Writelog.

Is the problem that they have better service, does the software have more or
better bells and whistles, is the software more user friendly. What do they
have that we don't?

Bill W5VX