[WriteLog] Net book computers

To: "Writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Net book computers
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:38:49 -0900
I've been seeing quite a few folks toting around one of the new small net
book computers recently.  The thought has occurred to me that this might be
a really neat device for portable ham operations...IF.  The big IF is will
it run WL or other ham related software?  I know some come with Linux and
others have WinXP for operating systems.  Of course these are highly
stripped down machines with minimal software included, but they appear to
have sufficient memory and hard drive space to run a contest logging
program.

I can't seem to find much about input/output though.  I assume they have one
or more USB ports, but I'm not sure about audio out, mike or line inputs,
etc.  Anyone have any first hand experience that you could share on the
trials and tribulations that might await someone trying to interface one of
these devices to a ham radio?  Not looking for anything exotic, such as
networked multi ops or SO2R configurations, just the ability to interface
with one radio.  Comments?

73,
Gary AL9A