Re: [WriteLog] WL & IC-706 setup for Field Day

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL & IC-706 setup for Field Day
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:23:49 -0800
Success!!!  Many thanks to Jim NU4Y who put me onto the fix that finally
solved my communication problem between my IC-706 and my ASUS net book
computer.

To review, the setup is a USB to 2 port serial adapter, which sets up as
COM3 and COM4, a Rigblaster Plus, a CT-17 level converter, WL V10.71C, and a
ASUS 1000HA.  Repeated attempts to get communication between WL and the net
book crashed and burned.

Jim felt that I should slow down my baud rate from 19200 to 4800 as some
level converters do not like the 19200 speed.  I felt the baud rate was ok
for the CT-17 as I have used that device in my base station at 19200 for
years without a hitch.  What is different though is the computer the CT-17
is trying to communicate with.  So today I went back out to the RV hooked
everything up again only this time I dropped the baud rate in the IC-706MKII
from 19200 to 9600.  When I started WL I went to Setup/Ports and set COM3
for CW and COM4 for rig control on the IC-706 to 9600.  When I exited the
Ports setup, nothing seemed to happen.

I then did what Kelly, N6KJ reported doing a few days ago. I went to
Bands/Set frequency & mode and manually set it to CW 14000 MHz.  When I
exited the screen blinked a bit and tah dah, schazaam, the radio and the
computer were suddenly talking together!  My best guess is that the Intel
Atom processor in the ASUS computer or something in its BIOS cannot handle
the 19200 baud rate.  Slowing down the baud rate on the radio and in WL got
everything going.  Of course it's a week AFTER Field Day, but man I'm ready
for next year now!

73,
Gary AL9A