Re: [WriteLog] Time to Upgrade Hardware

To: Ken Claerbout <k4zw@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Time to Upgrade Hardware
From: Alfred Frugoli <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:08:47 -0500
ARRL did a review of some  sound cards a couple years back.  If you're a
member, the review is on the ARRL site
here<http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr0705.pdf>.
 They didn't run the "writelog test", but at least they are quite new cards
that have drivers for XP.

As for  SO2R contesting, using a computer with only USB ports and the multi
keyer - I have yet to find a way.  The only issue is that when on a
usb/serial interface, the MultiKeyer does not switch from radio left to
radio right quickly enough.  USB/Serial interfaces work great for rig
control, and even sending FSK RTTY now, but not for controlling the
MultiKeyer (you can find info on good usb/serial interfaces on AA5AU's
rttycontesting.com site <http://www.rttycontesting.com/usb>).  There is a
.5-1 second delay because of the way the USB interface works.  So if you're
going to use a laptop, hopefully it has a cardbus slot that you can use to
add a true serial port - then you'd be in business.

The other option is to sink a chunk of money into one of the newer true usb
based so2r boxes.  The MultiKeyer still works well with Writelog, and a
cardbus serial card is about 5% of the cost of a usb based so2r box.

Good luck.

73 de Al, KE1FO

-----
Check out my Amateur Radio Contesting blog at ke1fo.wordpress.com.