[WriteLog] Win 7 and Writelog

To: Writelog Forum <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Win 7 and Writelog
From: Clay Melhorn <n9io@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:03:59 -0600
A few win 7 questions for the group.

I had purchased a laptop for the xyl for Christmas with win7 (32) on it for
general internet browsing, 13.3" LED backlit display 3gb and 320 hard, VERY
long lasting battery (9 hours).

Long story short, the xyl likes my 10.1" Asus XP netbook with 2gb memory better
and wants the even smaller machine much more than this one.  So I guess I have
been "given an opportunity" to "experiment" with win 7 (32) for use in amateur
radio.  Will also give me a chance to learn this new OS from MS that is
apparently here to stay.  My home entertainment friends using win7 seem to
really like it so maybe time to give it a serious look. (I once said win 98 was
the only system I would ever use too, hi)

Since this is my on the couch I-net browsing laptop and not my ham machine I
figured I would install Writelog and a USB/rs-232 converter for rig control so
it could be used on field day and the like.

A normal simple install with no add-ons such as Ritty Write or MMTTY (for now).

My questions are: Has anyone installed Writelog on a Win 7 (32) machine
recently?

Did it install and play well without ANY file manipulation?

Also, although this machine has no com or parallel ports is there a program
such as UserPort for Win 7 to gain control of the parallel port or is this way
too premature?

My current computers at home and in the shack are all XP Pro and one XP Home
with 5 to 6 com ports each, dual monitors (SO2R) NO intentions of changing from
XP at all.

73 and HNY!
Clay Melhorn N9IO Bonfield, IL
Webmaster: