[WriteLog] Band Map & Packet spots

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Band Map & Packet spots
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:41:12 -0900
There was a recent thread about having more S&P memories available in WL
that morphed into how to add local spots to the Band Map for recall later.
I'm setting up for the CQ WW 160M Contest and just thought of something that
may help single ops who cannot use passive spotting.  While refreshing my
memory in the Help file I stumbled onto something else that I was completely
unaware of that may also be an option for single ops.

In January 2009 V10.70 added a new ini file option to the [ENTRY] area.

LocalDupeChecksToPacket=1 Non-zero causes WriteLog to send dupe checked
calls that are to be sent to the band map, to also be sent to the Packet
Window.

I believe the default is on.  This means that if you have the WL Packet
Spots window open, local spots that are duped and placed on the Band Map
will also appear in the Packet Spots list noted as Local.  The spots in this
list will remain even after the Band Map spot times out and disappears.

In this contest, single ops cannot use passive spotting in the Unassisted
category.  But, and this is news to me, in the WL Packet Terminal window
there is an option in the menu bar - Edit/Single Operator.  According the
Help manual, "If you turn on this menu entry, then WriteLog allows you to
originate spots, but it does not use any incoming spots for the band map or
multiplier display."  Thus by use of this option Single Operators running
Unassisted could make a connection to a DX cluster and send outbound spots
out to the internet, where multi-op and Single Op Assisted stations can see
and use them but incoming spots from the DX cluster would be suppressed and
NOT posted to the Band Map or the Packet Spots window.

Maybe this info will be useful to some single op entries out there.

73,
Gary AL9A

73,
Gary AL9A