Re: [WriteLog] USERPARA.INI trouble

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] USERPARA.INI trouble
From: "W. Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 22:25:17 -0000
> I took a look and the copy of writelog.ini in the virtual store and it has
> the following line
>
> MMTTY_LOCATION=C:\Program Files (x86)\MMTTY\  Which is correct but the
> location for writelog is wrong and is listed as follows
> Location=C:\WriteLog\Programs\.  Writelog is located in C:\Program Files
> (x86)\WriteLog\Programs
>
> In the other Location for writelog.ini which is located in the C:\windows
is
> missing the line MMTTY_LOCATION=C:\Program Files (x86)\MMTTY.  I am not
sure
> what this means but think they should be the same.
>
> Could this be the problem?  With the little I know about this, I think I
> should put MMTTY_LOCATION=C:\Program Files (x86)\MMTTY in the writelog.ini
> located in C:\windows\writelog.ini.
>
> Comments please.
>
> Don
> W9NGA

All the above applies to Vista and later only (the only OS's with a
VirtualStore). I don't know what is going on with MMTTY's
USERPARA.INI, but I can help try to avoid chasing some wild
geese:

1. Don't bother editing the writelog.ini in c:\windows.
If you have user access control on, you will find
it rather difficult to edit, and, when you finally get
the file changed, you will discover that nothing ever
reads it. (Regarding UAC: as of 10.77, WL is designed to
work with UAC turned on, which was difficult, if impossible
before 10.77.)

Explanation. The way the VirtualStore works is that the writelog.ini
in c:\Windows is only a template. It is created by the writelog
installer, but afterwards is used only once (per Windows username).
The first time WriteLog writes anything to writelog.ini, the
VirtualStore copy gets created by the OS by first copying the
system version to the VirtualStore. Nothing (logged in as that
username) ever uses the system copy again.

2. As of 10.77, the [multipliers]location= and the [install]directory=
INI entries in writelog.ini are not used. If you do a fresh install
of 10.77 on a "clean" system (with no existing writelog.ini anywhere)
those entries will never appear. If you did an upgrade to get to 10.77,
they remain in the file, but are not used. The equivalent information is
now in the registry under a system-wide key--not a per-user key.

Wayne