[WriteLog] PC Generates

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PC Generates
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:58:23 -0500
I could not agree with Wayne more.  IMHO Vista and Win 7, particularly
the 64 bit version that many corporate environments will not allow in
the front door because its buggier than a flea circus, will cause you
lots of grief for things like CW keying.

The shack logging computers at N4GG continue to be 1 GHz P3s with four
serial ports and a real LPT port, running WIN 2K professional.  They
have performed perfectly for 10 years.  Never a blue screen, never a
glitch, never a chopped character.  They have been tested with 100K QSO
logs, SCP on, telnet on, call check on and a 6000 station history file
running and they respond instantly.  They have no virus checkers - they
don't need any - they are never allowed on the internet except to pull
spots.  Downloads are done on one of the home computers and moved across
the home network to the logging machines.

You can buy one of these for $100 at this point, or drag one out of your
closet.  Newer is not better, particularly when it comes to uSoft OS's
and hardware which continues to delete any remaining rational I/O.

Just one guys opinion - but I spend zero time troubleshooting computer
issues around here.

73 Hal N4GG