Re: [WriteLog] Erratic CW and Pegged CPU

To: "'Bud Trench'" <aa3b.bud@gmail.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Erratic CW and Pegged CPU
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:43:08 -0400
Very interesting observations Bud.  I have clean CW but I key the old
fashion way - I have a one transistor level shifter between the computer
and the key jack; no additional microprocessor and code between the two.

However, I am seeing pretty sever stuttering within the program.  The
longer it runs, the slower it responds to SPACEBAR to move from the
callsign field to the exchange fields.  It can take seconds.  Closing
the program and reopening it fixes this for a short while.  Its as if
the computer is really bogged down by something.

Sure enough, what's bogging it down is (Write32.exe) which is pushing my
CPU to 100% every time I hit SPACEBAR.   This started one or two release
versions ago.  It's almost unusable here.  Closing functions that
trigger off SPACEBAR like Check Call and SCP does not help.

OS:  WIN2000NT
FT-1000MPs; COM1 and COM2
COM1 keying through a 2N2222A

73 Hal
N4GG

XP OS
WL 10.84D
microKEYER 2R+ USB Device Router 7.7.1
microKEYER 2R+ v5.7

IC7800 on COM Port 9
FT1000MP on COM Port 2

I am experiencing the erratic CW problem with virtually every contest
module
upon start up of the module.  I can clear the problem by going to the
Writelog Port tab and temporarily disabling one of the rig control
ports.

The Ga QSO Party module has a unique problem.  The CPU pegs at 100%
frequently.  The Writelog Process (Writel32.exe) is the culprit.

I am growing increasingly frustrated with Writelog and urge the authors
troubleshoot and resolve these problems.

73 Bud AA3B