Re: [WriteLog] Edit Writelog.ini--expanding to comments on updating WL P

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Edit Writelog.ini--expanding to comments on updating WL ProgramData
From: "W. Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 14:26:26 -0000
I said:
> Recent versions of WriteLog put a shortcut in the Windows Start Menu,
AD6E replied:
> I'm running 10.84D and it doesn't seem to be there.
W0YK advised:
> Consult the revision history.
I did, and the answer is 10.87.

And, since we're delving into this topic, I'll add something not in the help
file: if you turn off UAC (user account control) Vista and later behave like
XP and earlier with respect to INI files--its in the OS directory, usually
C:\Windows--but the WL installer still puts in the shortcut, which doesn't
work.

My own advice w.r.t. UAC and WriteLog is to leave UAC on. WriteLog can be
run just fine from a user account as opposed to an admin account with the
exception that installation (including version upgrades) and updating its
per-machine data files (like the DXCC country file and the various
per-contest INI files) requires administrator privilege to access WL's
ProgramData folder. (At least that is how the WriteLog installer sets things
up--an admin can lower those protections afterward.) That setup means doing
a Windows "Switch user" to an admin user to run those.

You can avoid the time consuming "Switch user" if you know this Windows
trick: browse to WriteLog's \Programs directory with Windows Explorer and
right click "Readcty32.exe"  (to update the DXCC country files from
country-files.com) and choose "Run as Administrator". If you want to update
all of WriteLog's data files from writelog.com, then right click
"WriteL32.exe" instead and choose "Run as Administrator", and then use WL's
"File/Web Update Data Files..." menu. The latter updates the DXCC files as
well as all the contest-specific INI files, but from writelog.com, so it
might not have the latest from country-files.com.

You can abbreviate the process even further by using Windows Explorer to
drag ReadCty32.exe and/or WriteL32.exe to your desktop, but hold down
CTRL+SHIFT when you drop (i.e. release the left mouse button), and then
right click the resulting icon, click Properties, and then Advanced and turn
ON the "Run as Administrator" box. Now you can update the files from the
non-admin user's desktop with just one double-click as long as that user
knows an admin account password.

Wayne, W5XD