[WriteLog] Sound Card Spec Nomenclature?

To: Writelog user group <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sound Card Spec Nomenclature?
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:30:43 -0800
Is there any way to tell from the published specifications of a sound card
(or a computer that contains a built-in sound card) whether the card is
capable of looping input mic audio through to its line output? What named
"feature" would I be looking for?

Motivation for question: I'm currently having trouble getting mic audio
through either the internal card in my T61p or an external Griffin iMic
card. With either one, I can record messages to WL and play them back to my
rig but I can't use the mic in real time without disconnecting it from the
sound card and connecting it directly to the rig. This used to work for me
but that may have been with a predecessor computer.

Thanks,

/Rick

--
Rick Tavan N6XI