Re: [WriteLog] WL INI File

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL INI File
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:51:57 -0900
Lee,

Where is the writelog.ini file you are trying to update located?  It sounds
like you have WriteLog installed in C:\Program Files\Writelog\Programs.   If
so and you have User Account Control, UAC, turned on, Windows will not allow
changes to the ini file in the WL Programs folder.  I'm not sure about Win7
as I have Vista, but there is also a writelog.ini file in C:\Windows on my
system.  That one is create when the program is installed, but is not the
one you want either.

Under Vista and Win7 you need to find the writelog.ini file in the Virtual
Store path.  The newest versions of Windows will not allow the user or the
application to make changes to certain files in the Program Files folder.
Instead Windows creates a working copy in a different location.  On my
system the Virtual Path is C:\Users\AL9A\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
Files\WriteLog\Programs.  However the ini file is not here in the
...Programs folder.  Instead you need to look in
C:\Users\AL9A\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows.  Here you will find the
working version of the writelog.ini file that is used by the program.  This
ini file can be edited and saved by the user.

Your path name will be somewhat different than mine, but it should be
somewhat similar.  Note that the ...AppData... folder is a hidden file so
make sure you have the Control Panel set to display hidden files/folders.
BTW, if you do want to edit a file in C:\Program Files\Writelog\Programs
there is a sneaky way to do it.  Copy the file to the desktop and edit and
save your changes.  Then copy the desktop version and paste it back into
C:\Program Files\Writelog\Programs.  Windows will ask if you want to
overwrite the existing file.  If you say Yes it will let you do it!  Then
delete the desktop copy.  Don't bother trying to update the ini file here
though with this method.  Even if successful this isn't the ini file used by
the program anymore and your changes will not be seen.  Edit the one in the
Virtual Store path instead.

73,
Gary AL9A