Re: [WriteLog] SO2R controllers

To: k5zd@charter.net, "[WriteLog]" <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R controllers
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:06:56 -0400
> Anyone using the Microham micro2R? Looks like a nice unit, but would
> like to hear some real world experience.

One note concerning the microHAM micro2R ... it *does not* contain a
sound card and does not change the nature of Windows 7's handling of
sound cards.  What micro2R does is combine both channels of whatever
sound card you are using (hopefully a *second* sound card so Vista
and Windows 7 does not lock the inputs to a single source) and switch
the audio to the selected radio.

In this regard, micro2R is no different than MK2R+ or a simple "three
port" sound card with ans SO2R controller like DXDoubler.  In Vista
and Windows 7 you want to let Windows play with the computer's internal
sound card and use a second (or second and third) sound card for your
amateur software.

One final comment, If you use USB based sound cards, always connect
the card to the same USB port every time and boot the computer with
all your sound cards connected.  Changing ports and/or connecting
sound cards after Windows has started almost guarantee that the sound
card assignments will change.  The cards will be in a different "order"
so software that uses the "input index 3" will select the wrong input,
etc.  This is a particular "gotcha" with USB sound cards since most
commodity cards can not be distinguished by name (they're all "USB
Audio CODEC") - even for software that uses the sound card "name".

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.
        http://www.microHAM-USA.com