[RTTY] Need advice

To: CQ-Contesting Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>, N1MM Logger Reflector <n1mmlogger@yahoogroups.com>, RTTY Contesting Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Need advice
From: Dick-W0RAA <dickt@w0raa.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:29:41 -0600
Hi guys & gals,

I would like to get some advice as regards SO2R operating.  My station is not a
super contest station by any stretch of the imagination.  So that you have an
idea of what I have let me give a brief breakdown:

Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-857D
Ameritron AL-811A Amp (not used in contests)
Palstar Tuner (Not auto-tune)
Cushcraft A3S @ 34' on a Rohn 25 Tower with a Hazer 2 unit for raising &
lowering the beam
Butternut HF-9V ground mounted w/radials
80 Meter shortened dipole at 30'
I also have a SignaLink USB that is hooked up to my FT-950.

As you can see, a modest setup but it all works pretty well.  I live in an
upscale mobile home retirement community, that, thankfully, allows beams and
other antennas.

I'd like to setup a modest SO2R operation for RTTY contesting.  I don't know if
my station is equipped well enough to do that.  I am considering getting a
DX-Doubler unit and if anybody on the contesting reflectors is using a
DX-Doubler, I'd certainly like to communicate with you about the abilities of
the unit and whether or not it will be all that I need.  Or maybe something I
shouldn't even consider.

I have some questions but not really sure what they should be, thus my need for
help from some folks who are using a similar setup.  My main contesting program
is Writelog and I also use N1MM.  Mainly though, Writelog.  I have had success
with both programs and keep them up to date.

I hope to run into some of you during the COQP (Colorado QSO Party) tomorrow
(Sat., Sept. 1).

73,

Dick W0RAA

Sent from my iPad 2