Re: [WriteLog] Computer Up Grade

To: Bob Wood <n2kx@twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Computer Up Grade
From: "Anthony (N2KI)" <n2ki.ham@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:46:54 -0500
Bob,

Software specific, I cant recall anything that stood out as a problem.
 Hardware wise is the biggest thing you will see with a new computer.
 There is a lack of serial ports or for that matter they are non existent
 I am not one for a USB to Serial cables and in one way or another have
always found that these types of interfaces were problematic. So I always
steer clear of them when possible. There are many success stories with
these interfaces too, albeit,  I always look to add a PCI serial card in
the expansion slots.  They are available from byterunner.com (this card
specifically is the one I use.
http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/product_name=UPCI-400L/user-id=/password=/exchange=/exact_match=exact).

I don't know what kind of interface your radio uses so you may want to look
into that as well.  Not being familiar with WIn8, my first inclination is
to stick with Win7 Pro version.

Writelog seems to install without any issues,  Radio interfaces easily as
long as you have the appropriate com port selected.  Telnet works fine too.
 One note about telnet in Win7.  You need to enable it in the OS as it
comes disabled by default.  The way to do this is CONTROL PANEL - PROGRAMS
AND FEATURES - TURN WINDOWS FEATURES ON OR OFF - then check off "Telnet
Client".
The WriteLog ini file ihas multiple homes in Win7 depending on how you have
the OS set.  One path
is C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\writelog.ini by
default.  If you turn OFF the User Account Control Settings, WriteLog will
put the ini file in C:\Windows\writelog.ini.  Just keep it in mind.
For MMTTY interface I install it in c:\MMTTY and also MMTTY-2 to use for
monitoring the SUB-VFO on my radio. Its nice to be able to see the station
being worked on the QSX frequency and certainly makes it easier to see
where the DX station is listening.

As far as the on board sound, I don't use it for the MMTTY interface. Not
to say that it will not work, I use a simple SIgnaLink-USB.  It works well
all the time.  Again there are plenty of other options I'm sure.

Hope this gives a little insight.

Oh, and by the way.  if you are into building your own computer, I found
Tiger Direct has what they call Bare Bones Kits.  These are very good kits
that are quite affordable if you know what you are doing putting things
together.  Generally I lean towards an INTEL processor with an ASUS board.
 Just some food for thought before you pull the trigger on a new computer.
 There is money to be saved.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Anthony J. Cioffi (N2KI)