Re: [WriteLog] RTTY PPT delay

To: Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] RTTY PPT delay
From: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:06:33 -0700 (PDT)
While testing WriteLog on my laptop after installing hardware PTT via the ACC
connector on the back of my TS870, I noticed a delay in PTT. I found that I had
forgotten to disable PTT via radio control after enabling hardware PTT.

It's been well documented that using both hardware and software PTT will cause
problems with PTT and delay is one of those problems. I don't know if this
could be the source of your delay, but it should be checked. Once I disabled
PTT via radio control, all worked normally. If you are connected for hardware
PTT, go to the Setup menu in the WriteLog window, and select Ports. Make sure
Comm PTT is set to NO on the port connected for your radio.

In the BARTG Sprint 75, I used 2Tone as the main window for both radios and
used hardware generated FSK. Despite the blue characters going out ahead of
what was actually sent, this setup worked very well. I didn't use my laptop
because it doesn't have any legacy COM ports, only a USB to serial adapter. I
have 5 legacy COM ports on this PC. Two were used for radio control and two
were connected to transistor interfaces for FSK and PTT. There was absolutely
no delay in PTT.

73, Don AA5AU