Re: [WriteLog] CW decoding

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CW decoding
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 17:11:11 -0900
Nick,

You don't mention it, but what kind of CW decoding are you trying to accomplish? The standard decoding through the Rttyrite window or the multi-channel decoder found at Setup/CW Decoder...? The simpler one is to use the Rttyrite window.

Go to Setup/Ports and identify a COM port to be used for CW. It cannot be the one used for rig control so you need at least two different COM ports. Check the appropriate COM port in the CW column and leave the Rig Type set to No Rig and the other settings at the defaults. In the CW keyer type drop box select either a supported external keyer or PC generates. Of course this only affects sending, not receiving. The PC generates is a poor choice under Windows because of background system interference that can periodically lead to stuttering when sending from a memory buffer. Use it if you have no other keyer option.

To receive CW g0o to Window/RTTY Window. It's a bit confusing because the "RTTY Window" opens Rttyrite which can be used for either CW or RTTY. On the Rttyrite window menu bar select Port and select None - you don't need a COM port to receive CW, only to send. The click on the Mode item and select CW. Now go to the TU type item and select Sound Board AFSK. The screen will probably start to fill with random gibberish characters. You should also now see the small WriteLog CW Receiver window open. You can use the min and max settings to set the range of CW speeds to decode - I use 20 and 40.

Now tune around the CW portion of the band and see if you can decode a good signal. If you have the Super Check Partial setup calls within that file should be highlighted in either green or yellow, indicating a good call or a mult. That's pretty much it for CW setup. Good luck.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: NR Smith