Re: [WriteLog] ARRL SS CW prefill adi file

To: "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] ARRL SS CW prefill adi file
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:26:47 -0800
Dan K0TI wins first place in the “Who can find the problem in the adi file?”
contest!  Thanks Dan.  He correctly spotted that despite having Excel remove
duplicates some dupes still existed in the file.

This is because as far as Excel is concerned they are not dupes!  Closer
inspection reveals that for some unknown reason a few calls contain a
nonprinting character that is invisible to the naked eye.  Once discovered I
ran an Excel Text Function called Clean that removes nonprintable characters
from a text string.  Another run of the Remove Duplicates function removed 129
duplicate records, exactly the number that was off.

WriteLog has a strange method of dupe detection when loading prefill files.  If
it finds a dupe it keeps the dupe and discards the first record loaded.  This
is not what is wanted as in my adi file the dupe record is an older record and
it should be ignored.  Removing all the duplicates resolves the issue.  There
are now 2,988 unique records in the file and all of them load correctly into
WL.  The updated file can be downloaded at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0somp8wjuow0pxn/ARRL%20SS%20CW%20Call%20History%202009-2013_V2.adi?dl=0

Thanks again Dan!

73,
Gary AL9A